In our Spring Cleaning Challenge, we start in the Master Bedroom.
Why? Because it’s your room. Where you spend your time. Where you sleep, rest, get dressed… And you deserve to have a lovely, clean bedroom.
As you are cleaning, you will come across things you no longer need, use or love. Please take this opportunity to get rid of them! There is no point in keeping anything you are not prepared to clean.
What do I need?
Gather your supplies. You’ll need:
- Dusters (including a feather duster)
- A wet cloth
- Surface cleaning spray if you use it
- Furniture polish if you use it
- Window cleaner
- Window cleaning cloth
- Vacuum cleaner
- Bin bag
Master Bedroom Deep Clean: Step by Step
- Start from top to bottom – dust the lamp shade, fixings and corners of the ceiling
- Dust each wall
- Take down the curtains and put them in the wash if you can. If not, give them a very good shake outside. You might like to hoover them!
- Clean the windows and mirrors.
- Remove all objects from flat surfaces, dust carefully and lay on bed.
- Get rid of or put away anything you don’t need out.
- Damp-dust all the flat surfaces. Spray non-wood surfaces with surface cleaner if you like. Use furniture polish if you like.
- Replace all objects etc.
- Dust skirting boards.
- Wipe down door handles.
- Optional: Take clothes out of wardrobe. Sort into categories and re-hang with hangers facing backwards.
- Clear the bottom of wardrobe and vacuum. Put objects back.
- Optional: Take clothes out of drawers. Sort, refold and replace.
- Optional: Sort through make-up and jewellery. Get rid of anything you don’t use or wear. Wash make-up brushes and tidy everything neatly.
- Pull out everything from under bed. Vacuum under bed thoroughly. Dust everything from under bed and put everything back – if you want to keep it.
- Empty bins.
- Strip bedsheets, pillow cases and cushion cases. Put in washing machine.
- Vacuum mattress and turn if you can or need to.
- Vacuum any other soft furnishings e.g. chairs.
- Vacuum floors thoroughly.
- Remake bed.
Wow! That seems like a lot of work!
Yes, it does – but your room will feel AMAZING afterwards. You will feel amazed at the amount of dust that comes up from under the bed, and how much better you sleep afterwards.
If you do the clothes/make up and other optional tasks, this will probably take a good few hours. Otherwise, it’ll probably only take an hour or so. Remember, the less stuff you have, the less you have to clean.